Department: Food & Beverage
This is a hands-on position assisting the Executive Chef and Sous Chefs in the daily operations of the culinary department by maintaining sanitary standards, small wares inventory, ordering and receiving of purchased products and overall organization of the dish room and related areas. Supervises line-level Stewards.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Compile chemical orders for purchasing as necessary.
• Update chemical order guide.
• Maintain MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheets) with current information.
• Maintain a clean and organized chemical/janitor’s closet and related areas.
Equipment & Building:
• Supervise all washing and storage of small wares.
• Ensure that all items are stored in proper locations and work areas are ready for the next shift.
• Supervise daily cleaning of kitchen and ware washing areas.
• Supervise daily, weekly, and monthly deep cleaning schedules.
• Maintain equipment and facility cleanliness.
• Develop relationship with the Facility Engineer and communicate equipment maintenance and tracking issues.
• Perform bi-annual small wares inventory and recommend order levels based on par levels.
• Perform daily temperature readings on walk-ins, freezers, and cooling equipment.
• Maintain an organized food dock area.
• Assist with daily security and lock down of culinary department.
• Delegate assignments to stewarding staff as necessary and maintain strong awareness of hourly progress.
• Consult with Executive Chef or Executive Sous Chef in determining proper staffing levels.
• Allocate personnel during events to best utilize labor and efficiency.
• Control a safe and code compliant working area.
• Maintain and influence an efficient high energy work ethic.
• Responsible for training of line-level Stewards to ensure proper ware washing techniques, chemical usage, storage procedures and sanitation standards.
• Responsible for check-in and check-out of daily temporary and part-time stewarding staff.
• Discuss event needs three days out with Sous Chefs, i.e., hot boxes, plates, utensils and break-down stations and any other related equipment and items.
• Supervise transportation of food items to proper locations.
• Discuss flow of event with Catering Manager and Culinary department.
• Receive deliveries of food and non-food items and assure proper storage of such items.
• Maintain organization of dry goods and freezer storage.
• Stage the set-up of hot boxes, plates and plate covers for daily events.
• Stage the breakdown stations for daily events.
• Supervises line-level Stewards.
• Working knowledge of sanitation and cleanliness standards.
• Working knowledge of chemical usage and safe-handling practices.
• Working knowledge of small ware and equipment maintenance.
• Skill in volume ware washing techniques.
• Basic math skills.
• Good communication skills
• Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task.
• Ability to support large functions.
• Ability to work extended hours productively.
Education and/or Experience
• High school diploma or equivalent.
• Minimum of two years of experience in a kitchen environment including one year in a supervisory position.
• Fast-paced, very physical environment.
• May be exposed to extreme cold from walk-in coolers/freezers for up to one hour at a time.
• May be exposed to extreme heat from hot burners and/or steam for extended periods of time.
• May be exposed to minimal amount of smoke for extended periods of time.
• May be exposed to cleaning chemicals.
• Requires standing for several hours at a time each day.
Hours of Work and Travel Requirements
• Minimum of 40 hours per week.
• Irregular hours including early mornings, late evenings, weekends, and holidays as determined by event schedule.
• Extended hours may be required, as determined by event schedule.
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Ability to read printed words and numbers in printed form and on computer/terminal monitor.
• Hearing sufficient to clearly hear voices, alarms, bells and horns.
• Performing work through repetitive eye/hand coordination.
• Daily lifting up to 40 lbs. Up to 5 minutes at a time. Daily carrying up to 40 lbs. up to 5 minutes at a time.
• Ability to distinguish color.
• See and distinguish objects or symbols as 20 feet or more and 20 inches or less. Depth perception, peripheral vision and bringing objects into focus.
• Climbing ladders and staircases multiple times per day as needed to pick stock.
• Constant standing, walking, stooping. Constant reaching, handling products.
The essential responsibilities of this position are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Also, this document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
ASM GLOBAL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and encourages Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities, and protected Veterans to apply. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.