ASM Global, the world's leading venue management and services company, has an excellent and immediate opening for the position of Sous Chef - ASM Global/ Capital One Hall. This individual will serve as second in command for BOH and support the Executive Chef for a premier food & beverage operation as well as support the Executive Chef in the food preparation of the facility including: ﬁne dining, private catering to include off site & events, concerts, concessions and the Biergarten/Perch (Sky Park) food experience.
Capital One Hall (Tysons, Virginia) , is a multi-venue theater complex presently under construction at Capital One Center, located on the campus of Capital One headquarters in Fairfax County in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Capital One Hall features a 1600 seat performance hall, a 225 seat black box, a rooftop park encompassing a 150 seat amphitheater and an authentic Biergarten. The venue encompasses a spectacular Grand Lobby approx. 500 seated and Terrace, both spaces perfect for unique performances, pre-show activities, smaller musical acts, corporate gatherings and social events. This extraordinary, state of the art facility is located directly off the silver Metro line making it easily accessible locally and out of Washington D.C. proper. The anticipated performance season will run 12 months a year and will host a diverse, eclectic mix of entertainment including live music concerts, comedic acts, festivals and will proudly host many Fairfax County theatrical and symphonic groups including but not limited to organizations such as the Fairfax Symphony Orchestra, Washington West Film Festival and Ravel Dance.
Capital One Hall is owned by Capital One and this extraordinary complex will open in the Fall of 2021 under preeminent support services by ASM Global, a Los Angeles based company and world leader in facility management.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties to be assigned as directed by the Executive Chef:
- Schedules all hot and cold food prep personnel for their any, and all venue areas
- Gives instruction to cooking personnel in fine points of cooking
- Supervises cooks in all areas of hot kitchen production including, preparation, cooking and severing of all food items including catering, concessions, and restaurant
- Assumed responsibility for the kitchen in the absence of the Executive Chef/ Executive Sous Chef
- Orders all food required, all hot and cold production as instructed by the EC
- Interacts daily with Kitchen Steward and his/her staff for all cleaning and set-up required in the dept.
- Manages the overall direction, coordination, and elevation of the unit
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organizations policies and applicable laws
- Plans, assigns, and directs work as well as trains staff and any temp staff
- Addresses complaints a s well as resolves problems appropriately and promptly
- Assists the EC and ES with food production and supervision in Starr Hill Biergarten, Kitchen main catering, Concessions, Coffee Cart, The Perch (food trucks) and any needed off-premises catering.
- Assists in all inventories for all outlets at months end (weekly for Biergarten) and yearly wares and equipment inventory recommends purchases for concession stand, coffee cart and all outlets
- Assists in training kitchen staff and temp labor to include Health Department regulations, HACCP guidelines for food production and inventory controls
- Makes suggestions to EC & ES for new menu items, increased revenue opportunities and ways to increase guests' satisfaction
- Recommends food service equipment maintenance
- Gives attention to detail and is customer service oriented
- Communicates with Director/EC/ES with any ongoing food/beverage department challenges and opportunities, working alongside the F & B Manager, Captains, Catering Sales Manager and the entire FOH team to support them and have successful events
- Maintains the highest standards in quality. Ensures all food, raw or prepared is held at proper storge temperatures for no longer that its recommended safe holding times. Regularly checks time and temperature. Checks all food items to be served for proper taste, texture, temperature, and presentation.
- Maintains, good rotation of food items in dry storerooms, refrigerators, and freezers, utilizing the FIFO "first in first out" method.
- Maintains a clean and safe working environment in the kitchens and all work areas, and is a champion of safety for kitchen and all F & B employees to work in a safe and sanitary manner
- Maintains all kitchen equipment cleanliness schedules and participates in weekly, monthly cleaning and annual maintenance
- Brings to the attention of F & B leadership any unsafe condition, such as lighting, refrigeration, plumbing, gas and electrical equipment problems and maintenance
- Maintains food costs, labor costs and budget goals
- Performs other related duties as assigned by Director, EC or ES
- Produce required product according to Banquet Event Orders for each event
- Lead, plan and execute Banquet and Concession Operations
- Develop and prepare creative and tasty recipes
- Inspect recipe compliance and quality control are met throughout the production process
- Continually manage, monitor and seek labor efﬁciencies to reduce costs, improve product output and enhance overall guest experience
- Effectively train, develop and encourage staff members
- Maintain and manage culinary personnel to meet labor and production
- Maintain all kitchen equipment cleanliness and maintenance
- Maintain health department score of 90 or above and SAVOR'S 3rd party audit score of 95 or above
- Maintain food costs and budget goals by ordering, receiving, inventorying, and preparing food item effectively and efﬁciently
- Attend internal event-related meetings and relay immediate changes to other internal departments
- Coordinate with the Executive Chef and the Food and Beverage Director to verify and reconcile production and sellable items
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with company policies and applicable laws
- Maintain brand standard for SMG Food & Beverage /ASM Global
- Support, train and implement company's sustainability objective and goals
- Responsible for kitchen in absence of the Director of Food & Beverage/Executive Chef
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Food & Beverage and or the Executive Chef
- Lead by example
Directly supervises all kitchen personnel and stewarding department as directed. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with ASM Global's policies and applicable laws.
Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees as well as planning, assigning and directing work, appraising performance, rewarding, disciplining employees in conjunction with Human Resources. Works closely with Food & Beverage managers and FOH.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Certiﬁcate from accredited culinary school, college, or technical school or similar work
- At least 3 years' experience as a chef or sous chef in high volume banquets, restaurants(with banquet facilities), arenas or hotels
- Experience with upscale dining in a restaurant or similar type facility preferred
- Experience with preparing food for 500+ events attendees
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to use and maintain basic food service and kitchen equipment
- Ability to train others in the use of basic food service and kitchen equipment
- Strong communication skills and the ability to read, write, and understand English
- Ability to interact with all levels of staff ability to quickly identify problems and resolve them
- Excellent organizational and planning skills
- Strong customer service orientation
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work with limited supervision
- Ability to interact with all levels of staff including management
- Ability to work irregular hours as dictated by the event schedule, including nights, weekends and holidays
- Ability to travel as needed
- Must maintain local Health Codes and sanitation HACCP
Proﬁcient in Microsoft Ofﬁce platforms, as well as Adobe Creative Suite, and knowledge of Banquet Event Order (BEO) or other event management programs.
- Serve-safe certiﬁed and current.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand and walk. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
This job description portrays in general terms the type and level(s) of work performed and is not intended to be all-inclusive or to represent speciﬁc duties of any one incumbent. The knowledge, skills and abilities may be acquired through a combination of formal schooling, self-education, prior experience, or on-the-job training. The company reserves the rights to modify, supplement, delete, or augment the duties and responsibilities speciﬁed in the position description, in the company's sole and absolute discretion. Duties other than those expressly speciﬁed may be assigned from time to time.
The essential responsibilities of this position are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Also, this document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
To Apply: Please Send Your Resume to Info@CapitalOneHall.com