POSITION: Line Cook
DEPARTMENT: Food & Beverage
REPORTS TO: Executive Chef
FLSA STATUS: Hourly, Non-Exempt
ASM Global, the world's leading venue management and services company, has an excellent and immediate opening for the position of Line Cook - ASM Global/ Capital One Hall. This individual will support the F & B Dept. a premier food & beverage operation as well as support the Executive Chef in the food preparation of the facility including: ﬁne dining, private catering to include off site & events, concerts, concessions and the Biergarten/Skypark food experience.
Capital One Hall (Tysons, VA) , is a multi-venue theater complex presently under construction at Capital One Center, located on the campus of Capital One headquarters in Fairfax County in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Capital One Hall features a 1600 seat performance hall, a 250-seat black box theatre, a rooftop park encompassing a 150-seat amphitheater and an authentic Biergarten. The venue encompasses a spectacular Grand Lobby (approx. 500 seated) and Terrace, both spaces perfect for unique performances, pre-show activities, smaller musical acts, corporate gatherings, and social events. This extraordinary, state of the art facility is located directly off the silver Metro line making it easily accessible locally and out of Washington D.C. proper. The anticipated performance season will run 12 months a year and will host a diverse, eclectic mix of entertainment including live music concerts, comedic acts, festivals and will proudly host many Fairfax County theatrical and symphonic groups including but not limited to organizations such as the Fairfax Symphony Orchestra, Washington West Film Festival and Ravel Dance.
Capital One Hall is owned by Capital One and this extraordinary complex will open in the Fall of 2021 under preeminent support services by ASM Global, a Los Angeles based company and world leader in facility management.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties to be assigned as directed by the Executive Chef:
- Create and execute the production schedule, to meet business demands as directed for all venue spaces as directed by culinary leadership
- Plan, organize and prepare the production of all manual food product as assigned by the Executive Chef/Executive Sous Chef and/or Sous Chef
- Produce required product according to Menu or Banquet Event Orders, maintains production notes as daily work progresses as it relates to the Banquet Event Order
- Prepares hot and cold food to order as per standardized or custom recipes
- Always provides the highest quality service to guests and co-workers
- Train and supervise employees under his/her supervision
- Maintain cost-effective food and labor costs as instructed by Chefs following ASM Global Food & Beverage standard recipes and menus
- Follows proper food handling techniques and coordinates the use of the material and equipment to avoid waste and unnecessary expense
- Assists with opening, closing and months end inventory counts, and duties as assigned
- Sets up station prior to opening to ensure a state of readiness based on historical par levels to ensure adequate supply during service
- Store and properly handle ready to eat, raw, cooked foods and non-food supplies
- Follow temperature danger zone guidelines to ensure food safety
- Maintains a sanitizer bucket at proper dilution, always
- Ensures all products are properly wrapped, labeled, and dated
- Operates equipment (knives, grill, flat top, fryer, ovens, slicer etc.) according to use and safety instructions
- Cook the exact number of items ordered by each customer or BEO, working on several different items simultaneously
- Distributes food to concession stands to serve to customers or to customer ordering directly if required
- Requests inventory refills as needed on a timely basis to ensure adequate supply is always available for work schedule/guest requests
- Keeps work area clean, organized, and sanitary
- Cleans and organizes workstation at end of shift to ensure safety guidelines are maintained and the stand/ station is ready for the next shift
- Practices FIFO (First in First Out) for all products to ensure proper rotation
- Attend and participate in Food Production meetings as instructed
- Perform all skilled labor as classification dictates
- Lead by example
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Chef and or the Director of Food & Beverage
Directly supervises some kitchen personnel, stewarding and temp labor as directed. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with ASM Global's policies and applicable laws.
Responsibilities include training employees as well as planning, assigning and directing work, appraising performance. Works closely with all chefs and lead steward
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Certiﬁcate from accredited culinary school, college, or technical school or similar work
- At least three years' experience as a cook in high volume banquets, restaurants (with banquet facilities), arenas or hotels
- Experience with upscale dining in a restaurant or similar type facility preferred
- Experience with preparing food for 500+ events attendees
- High school diploma or GED preferred
- Knowledge of Banquet Event Order (BEO) or other POS systems
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to use and maintain basic food service and kitchen equipment
- Follows all food safety instructions, HACCP, and the Food Code
- Ability to train others in the use of basic food service and kitchen equipment
- Strong communication skills and the ability to read, write, and understand English
- Ability to quickly identify problems and resolve them
- Excellent organizational and planning skills
- Strong customer service orientation
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work with limited supervision
- Ability to interact with all levels of staff including management
- Ability to work flexible, irregular hours as dictated by the restaurant levels/event schedule, including nights, weekends, and holidays
- Must be compliant with Health Codes\Must be able to adapt to change in the work environment, managing, competing demands, frequent changes, delays, or unexpected events
- Serve-safe certiﬁed preferred
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand and walk. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds 10 minutes at a time.
Constant reaching, standing, walking and stooping. Performing work through repetitive eye/hand coordination. Noise levels in the work environment can be moderate to loud. Irregular hours as indicated by events. Must be bale to balance and have good manual dexterity. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to move around the facility: to stand for long hours: talk and hear. This position may require work inside or outside of the building as needed by events possibly even off site.
This job description portrays in general terms the type and level(s) of work performed and is not intended to be all-inclusive or to represent speciﬁc duties of any one incumbent. The knowledge, skills and abilities may be acquired through a combination of formal schooling, self-education, prior experience, or on-the-job training. The company reserves the rights to modify, supplement, delete, or augment the duties and responsibilities speciﬁed in the position description, in the company's sole and absolute discretion. Duties other than those expressly speciﬁed may be assigned from time to time.
The essential responsibilities of this position are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Also, this document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
ASM Global is an Equal Opportunity/Afﬁrmative Action employer, and encourages Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities, and protected Veterans to apply. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.