Assistant General Manager
Under General Manager’s supervision, the Assistant General Manager coordinates the day-to-day activities of the various departments within the facility. Helps to facilitate optimum efficiency, maximize profits, and provide exceptional customer service by performing the following duties individually or through subordinate supervisors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for hiring, supervising, scheduling, training, and discipline of assigned personnel and departments.
- Implement facility policies and goals in accordance with the management contract, client’s objectives, and corporate policy.
- Prepares yearly operational and five-year capital budget plans for approval. Manages Operations budget.
- Reviews and executes detailed event production documents with input from all relevant departments. Recommends solutions to identified operational and servicing issues.
- Meet with department heads to review activity, operating, and sales reports. Determine changes to the programs and/or operations and oversee implementation with the department heads.
- Negotiate contracts and agreements with suppliers, promoters and tenants for necessary activities and services at the facility.
- Assist in the development of long-range plans and program objectives in accordance with the management contract and corporate policy.
- Guarantee all codes, laws, ordinances, policies, procedures, risk management, safety precautions, rules, regulations, and emergency procedures are followed.
- Implement procedures within the departments to establish and maintain customer service standards that are designed to ensure a positive and professional image and generate repeat business.
- Administers performance evaluations for assigned department managers.
- Assist in the preparation of the annual budget and capital project budget for future repairs and improvements to the facility.
- Establish and maintain contact with booking agents, professional managers, promoters, and others within the industry to encourage continual and regular use of the facility.
- Conduct post-event operational and financial review and analysis.
- Coordinate, implement and administer personnel development/training and safety/emergency procedures.
- Ensures life safety systems are properly maintained and documented per Federal, State, and local code.
- Review and approve all purchasing, travel and promotional expense activity.
- Work extended and/or irregular hours including nights, weekends and holidays.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects and meet strict deadlines.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including nights, weekends, and holidays in addition to normal business hour as needed
- Must have professional attitude and appearance
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university and a minimum of five (5) years’ industry experience with at least three (3) of those years in a management function of an arena, convention center or stadium; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Skills and Abilities
- Possess skills and experience in contract negotiation, business law, labor relations, union contracts, purchasing procedures, and supervising personnel.
- Engage in much decision making that is generally governed by procedure and guided by policy.
- Demonstrate knowledge in the practices and terminology of public relations programs, advertising, marketing, and sales.
- Plan, coordinate and direct varied and complex administrative operations.
- Supervise and recognize human resource and personnel problems, deal constructively with conflict, supervise, and motivate personnel, provide counsel on routine and sensitive personnel matters, and execute applicable solutions.
- Respond to crowd control and/or crowd management situations in a prompt and decisive manner during crisis situations.
- Operate a personal computer using MS-DOS, Windows, Word, Excel and/or Lotus 1-2-3, and other standard office equipment.
- Follow oral and written instructions and communicate effectively with others in both oral and written form.
- Organize and prioritize work to meet deadlines. Work effectively under pressure and/or stringent schedule and produce accurate results.
- Maintain an effective working relationship with clients, employees, exhibitors, patrons, and others encountered in the course of employment.
- Be licensed and insured to operate a motor vehicle in the United States.
- Remain Flexible and adjust to situations as they occur.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and organizational ability
- Ability to work with and maintain highly confidential information is required
- Ability to work simultaneously with a broad variety of vested interest groups and to foster a cooperative environment
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principles and practices used in the successful management of entertainment or convention facilities of a similar description
- Ability to anticipate problems and implement immediate corrective action
- Ability to perform effectively under significant pressure typically associated with meeting the demands and timetables of the entertainment industry
- Considerable knowledge of event solicitation and presentation, public relations, advertising and media relations and event planning
- Considerable knowledge of safety regulations and other federal, state or local laws and regulations
- Strong orientation towards hospitality/customer service for the meeting, convention and entertainment industry
- Basic knowledge of facility operating standards, building maintenance, custodial, personnel and office management
- Ability to manage a facility of same size and type
- All other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to move around the facility; to stand for long hours during events; occasionally required to kneel, climb to high walkways or balance. Must have the ability to communicate effectively during a strenuous schedule.
- This position may require work inside or outside of the building, and work in adverse conditions as needed by events. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- The essential responsibilities of this position are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Also, this document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
- ASM Global is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and encourages Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities, and protected Veterans to apply. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.